Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Penguins - Toddler Storytime

Hello!
I've been doing a terrible job at keeping up this blog. And for that I'm so sorry! I'm now starting to post some of my Toddler Time (Toddler Storytimes) starting from January 2016. I'd like to start keeping track of what worked, and what didn't, and how I've changed/progressed in content over the last few months.

Toddler Time is on Monday mornings and Thursday mornings, from 10:00-10:30 am. After storytime, I turn on some music, bring out some special toys, and everyone stays in the storytime room until ~11:00 am and plays! This is a great socialization time for both children and caregivers, alike.

I know everyone who does storytimes has their own unique style -- what works for them, based on how their brain works! For me, instead of throwing together a bunch of songs and stories and doing them in random order, I prefer to list everything out chronologically and try to follow order. Of course, there are ALWAYS days when I cut out a book or song, for time-sake or just based on the kind of mood the Toddlers are in that day.

This was my first Toddler Time of the new year. I remember at one point I froze and forgot the lyrics to one of the songs, but that's alright with me. As long as you're having fun, the kids don't care, and somehow I've managed to completely look past any judgement grown-ups may pass (but then again, the grown-ups in my groups are great and so understanding about anything that may go awry!)



PENGUINS

Welcome Song: We Clap and Sing Hello -- Clap, Stomp, Jump, Twirl

Give Me 5
(This is how we get ready to hear a story together! I usually just do this once in the beginning with the first book, it really helps to center everyone and let them know the expectations for their behavior when I'm reading the book - although I'd never throw anyone out for disobeying these rules - it's just a good prep!)
1. Eyes will be watching the story (make goggles for your eyes with your hands)
2. Where are your ears? Ears will be listening to the story (cup your ears)
3. Where is your mouth? Voices will be quiet (say shhh and hold your pointer finger to your mouth)
4. We'll have calm bodies (give yourself a little hug)
5. And last, most importantly, we'll have caring hearts for our neighbors (put your hands on your heart)

Book: Penguins, Penguins Everywhere! by Bob Barner

Rhyme: I’m a Little Penguin
I'm a little penguin black and white, (waddle)
I waddle to the left and I waddle to the right. (hold up hands left and right)
I cannot fly but I can swim, so I waddle to the water (waddle)
and jump right in! (jump)
 
I'm a little penguin short & round (crouch down and make a circle with your arms)
Swimming in the sea is where I'm found. (swimming motions)
Eating lots of fish day and night, (mimic eating)
Wobbling around I'm a silly sight. (wobbling)

Activity: Penguin Scarf Color Matching

Stretcher: Wiggle and Wiggle and Stop
Stretcher: Wiggle Your Fingers


Book: If You Were a Penguin by Wendell and Florence Minor

Song: Penguins Waddle *use magnet board*
[Say: With this song, we’re going to be counting up!]
Penguins go waddling 1 by 1, Hurrah, Hurrah!
Penguins go waddling 1 by 1, Hurrah, Hurrah!
They only stop to take a swim
and when they're done, they waddle again.
The penguins waddle around, around and round.

Song: Five Little Penguins *use magnet board*
[Say: With this song, we’re going to be counting down!]
(Five) Little penguins standing in a row (five fingers)
(Five) Little penguins standing in the snow
Brrrr, it’s cold! I cannot stay! (hug self and shiver)
And one little penguin waddled away (waddle in place)

Closing Song: Bread Butter Marmalade and Jam

How it went: 
I don't know if it is just my groups, or if this is true at other libraries' storytimes too, but I always have a hard time getting toddlers to do felt/magnet activities. With this age, it can quickly turn to chaos with toddlers waddling up to the board to put their piece up before it's their turn, or to pull down other pieces off the board when they're not supposed to.
I don't expect an 18 month old to understand the concept of this activity, but with a caregiver's help I believe it is possible. So, the penguin scarf matching activity really only worked well with my smaller group. With the bigger group, there was too much commotion for everyone to understand what was going on.
However, in this storytime I just put the pieces up on the board as we counted penguins up and down. With the bigger and hard to control group, wandering toddlers came up and ripped the penguins off. Unfortunately I can't always count on caregivers to help control this. So, I will be brainstorming better ways to use the felt and magnet boards in future Toddler Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment