Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Bedtime - Toddler Storytime

I don't always get to pick the themes for Toddler Time, which is fine, but sometimes you get something that you wouldn't normally do yourself. For example, bedtime stories in the morning! It was fun to do, but can seem a bit counter-intuitive. But I went with the flow...

Hello Song: Clap and Sing Hello!

Give Me 5!



Book: Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed? by Barney Saltzberg

Song: Skidamarink
Skidamarink a-dink, a-dink, Skidamarink a-doo, I love you. (2x) I love you in the morning, And in the afternoon;
I love you in the evening,underneath the moon. Oh, skidamarink a-dink, a-dink, Skidamarink a-doo, I love you!

Activity: Day or night? Matching Activity (do not hand out pictures)
Note: For this magnet activity, I printed out pictures of activities that people do in the daytime and nighttime, as well as pictures of the sun, moon, clouds, stars, etc. In other words, pictures that allow children to easily identify it as day or night. I made sure to laminate these pictures.
I put the pictures up on the board one at a time and we talked about what is in the picture, what's going on, etc. Then, we came to a consensus and put the picture under the right heading on the board. The "headings" were just big laminated pieces of paper that said "day" and "night" on each and had sun/blue sky and moon/dark sky with stars. There were pieces of velcro on the pictures and the day/night sheets that I could stick the pictures to.
It's so hard to describe, I'll eventually have to take a picture of this activity!

Stretcher: Wiggle and Wiggle and Stop!
Stretcher: Wiggle your fingers way up high…

Song: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (with wand)


Book: Goodnight, Sweet Butterflies by Dawn Bentley 

Activity: Five in a Bed (Felt)
5 in the bed and the little one said "roll over, roll over!"So they all rolled over and one fell out! Then there were...5 in a bed and the little one said...
Closing Song: Bread Butter Marmalade and Jam

How it went: Overall, everything went fairly smoothly. My favorite is just singing Skidamarink several times. Everyone loves this tune, especially the grown-ups because the little ones do the fingerplays so lovingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment