Friday, December 04, 2020

I Love Me! A Storytime all About Self-Confidence

Reading


  • I Love Me! by LaRonda Gardner Middlemiss (at the suggestion of my colleague Emily C., I have the children repeat the same refrain, "I Love Me!" and hug themselves as it repeats throughout the story)
  • Only a Tree Knows How to Be a Tree by Mary Murphy

Singing

We talked about all of the parts of us that we love, now let's sing a song about those parts, too! From our shoulders to our bellies, we love our whole selves.

Egg Shakers Up

Egg Shakers up
Egg shakers down
egg shakers dancing all around the town
Dance them on your shoulders
Dance them on your head
Dance them on your belly
and then tuck them into bed!


Group Activity

At the start of storytime, I ask the grown-ups viewing with the children to ask their child "what is one thing you love about yourself?" I tell them, "If your child is having a hard time answering, you can model. For example, say, 'I love my eyes because they are green, and that is a fun color!' You can also tell your child something you love about them, such as, 'I love the way you sing! Your voice is my favorite sound!'" 

Then, I have the parents type what their child said they love about themselves (could also be what you they loved, if child does not answer). At the end of storytime, I read them all aloud for everyone to hear!


Extension Activity

You have so many opportunities throughout the day to help your child boost their self-confidence. One way you can do this may be unexpected -- and that's through your child's artwork! Does you toddler ever bring you a picture they made (scribbles? unrecognizable marks? all the paint colors mixed together?), looking for your praise? Help your child build a growth mindset with these tips from Sunny Seed Co.:

1. Rather than saying "good job," make neutral observations and praise your child's effort.

Studies show that children who are praised for specific effort show more creativity and intrinsic motivation whereas hearing "good job" or "you're so smart"  limits a child's effort, perseverance, creativity, and risk-taking. A child who constantly hears "good job" learns to seek approval and validation from others.

2. Ask your child to tell you what their picture is about! Here are some talking points:

- Make observations, such as, "I see you used a lot of blues and greens." 

- Ask questions, instead of guessing, such as, "Can you tell me about this?" and "how did you make this part?"

- "Wow, I can tell you worked hard on this!" and "You were very focused!" both praise effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment