Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Winter Sweets

Preschool Outreach Storytime: Winter Sweets

I had an interesting "challenge" with planning this storytime visit. One teacher wanted me to incorporate ice cream into the storytime because they were doing a unit on it. Well, the other 2 classes I was seeing that morning were not, but to make life easier on myself I like to do variations on the same them in each room. Here is what I came up with: winter sweets!!


Book: The Reader by Amy Hest
What I like about this book is there is a sweet little narrative storyline that is simple enough for young toddlers to follow. I read this with a group of 3 year olds who were enchanted with it. Then the bigger preschool kids absolutely loved it, as well!








Song: Keep Me Warm! (Tune: Wheels on the Bus)

The mittens on my hands
Keep me warm, Keep me warm, Keep me warm
The mittens on my hands
Keep me warm,
All winter long...

Other verses:
The hat on my head
The scarf around my neck
The boots on my feet 

Book: A Splendid Friend, Indeed by Suzanne Bloom
If I had to do it again, I wouldn't read this book. It takes a lot of explaining, and with my 3s, although they did get a lot of it, they weren't as engaged. I chose it because they drink hot cocoa together at the end, haha.

Song: The Hot Cocoa Song 
I used a bear puppet and 5 "coins" I made out of buttons. I ask 5 children to come up and be helpers. I only do this with the older preschool kids (4 and up). I give each child a "cup of hot cocoa" (cut outs, laminated) and then sing the song:


Down around the corner at the chocolate shop
FIVE cups of cocoa, sweet & hot!
Along comes bear with some money to pay.
He buys himself some cocoa & takes it away…

So then I have bear give a "coin" to the first child and then he sips and burbs (laughs ensue) and says excuse me. Then that child sits down and we do it all over again until there's no more hot chocolate left, and bear is full. :)

Song: The Milkshake Song (with shaker eggs)
Always do this song last! It's great but they get really wound up. I suppose it could be a good half-way-thru-storytime-wiggle-release-song BUT you would have to have a good plan for settling them back down. :)

You take a little milk, pour some milk
And you take a little cream, pour some cream
You’ll stir it all up
You’ll shake it and you’ll see...
Milkshake, milkshake shake it up, shake it up
Milkshake, milkshake shake it all up!
Milkshake, milkshake shake it up, shake it up
Milkshake, milkshake shake it all up!

Other books read with 4s and 5s (not with the 3s)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment