Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Using a Bubble Machine in Storytimes

Why Use Bubbles in Storytime?
My job of modeling the importance of play is just as significant as modeling the importance of reading and singing, and I have found that the bubble machine stimulates all sorts of happiness in my storytimes.

First, it gives children a fun sensory experience and a chance to play together with the other children in the beginning of storytime - as opposed to just the end - breaking down some initial shyness/quietness among the group.

Second, it is an amazing open-ended play experience, whether we're using it during our hello song or during our free play time at the end (our "goodbye" bubbles, when I just put on a music CD and let the kids run around in the bubbles).

Third, it gets everyone up and moving. As I just mentioned, for goodbye bubbles, it is less structured and more "free play", and I walk around the entire room as little ones bounce along after me. It's a great opportunity for a little bit of exercise and releasing all that energy!


The "Bubble Wiggle Jiggle" Hello song: This is a new song that I wrote to use with my new BUBBLE MACHINE! I just wanted a fun, new way to say hello at the start of storytimes, and this is it. I sing it acapella style, so I always encourage caregivers to clap along!

The Bubble Wiggle Jiggle (Tune: Shortin'n Bread)
Written by April Howe
Little round bubble, bubble, bubble
Little round bubble, I love you!
(x2) 
Verse 1:
Bubble to the Left,
Bubble to the Right
Wiggle and Jiggle
We’re Feelin’ Alright! 
Verse 2:
Bubble up High
Bubble down Low
Wiggle and Jiggle
Let’s Say Hello! 
Verse 3:
Bubbles floating slow
Bubbles floating fast
Wiggle and Jiggle
We're having a blast! 
Verse 4:
Bubble so quiet
Bubble so LOUD
Wiggle and jiggle
You make me so proud!
I initially wrote the 4 verses above, but stuck with just the first two (ending on "let's say hello"), in order to limit the amount of time we spend on bubbles in the beginning.

So, the bubble machine is running as we sing the song. I hang onto it and walk back and forth, lifting it up high so that the bubbles float for longer. I also try to get around to those sitting down in the back who are feeling to shy to come up front and see the bubbles.

For about 30 seconds after the song, I leave the bubble machine running. Then, I ask everyone to count to five and we say goodbye for now to the Bubble Machine.

The bubble machine comes back out at the end of storytime for "goodbye bubbles" - which is just some free play time chasing bubbles! As I mentioned earlier, I just put on a CD (my favorite is usually some Laurie Berkner, at least lately!) and walk around the room as the kids follow me. (I often joke to the caregivers that I could rule the world with this thing, and that if it ever broke, I'd have an angry mob on my hands!)

About the Bubble Machine: Above is the bubble machine I use. The brand is Bubble Blitz. It was $10.99 at Target (don't buy it at Amazon because you will over-pay). And it is The. Best. Invention. EVER. Also, the bubble liquid is great, it is non-toxic, non-sticky. I always tell parents that.

I had to replace it once, but I think it's because I used some cheap bubble liquid that gunked up the motor (also could have been from a co-worker who poured too much in!), because the wheel stopped turning (it would pause a few seconds after running).

I exchanged it for a new machine and have been extremely careful with it - careful how much/how fast I'm pouring, and only using the Bubble Blitz brand of liquid. I've only seen it sold at Target, but I'm sure there are other good quality brands of bubbles out there.

As you can tell, I'm kind of over protective of it, only because my storytime kids love it so much. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment